Borough Market, London

Let’s admit it, England is not a country known for its epicurean heritage. Yes, there are some notable exceptions like The Fat Duck; but overall, you’ll likely find more appetizing cuisines in other European countries. Maybe for that reason, the one place in London where food can be exciting is where Europe comes together under one roof. Welcome to Borough Market.

Started by the Romans about 1000 years back, the oldest food market in the city is also recognized as the best. Here you’ll find a maze of about 150 food stalls selling specialty products from every corner in Europe. Fresh Mozzarella di Bufala Campana from Italy, canned escargots from France, dried chilies from Spain and, of course, Her Majesty’s meat pies.

Like popular markets in Europe or Asia, early hours are preferred if you want to avoid the flock of tourists that flood the place. By noon, when visitors are joined by the local lunch crowd, the sight is closer to a theme park than a food market. Busy enough that you may miss the ubiquitous “High risk pickpocket area” signs. But if you are a food enthusiast like I am, no matter what time you arrive you are sure to have a blast. And maybe, just maybe, change the way they think of London after all.

3 comments:

Anne said...

I lived in London for a year, and am moving back this fall (I'm a native San Franciscan), and until I discovered Borough Market I suffered from serious food homesickness!
London has a great food scene, but it tends to be expensive, and markets like Borough are a great way to get the same standard of food without the markup of a restaurant.
If you're still in London, though, and you want to check out a great restaurant, my recommendation is Ristorante Semplice, in Mayfair. So Italian (I lived there too) and so delicious and just overall wonderful. I can't wait to get back there.
(Love this blog, by the way. I frequently come here and read your reviews when deciding on a new restaurant to try. And the photos make my mouth water!)

Janel l'a dit... said...

I visited close friends in Oxford twice and honestly found food to be of a standard that is not far from what we have here in SF... I also spent time in Brighton and other sea-side towns and found myself constantly impressed with the quality of the food. I think that the stereotype that England is culinarily-challenged is not exactly true....

alix said...

Our photographer's studio on Frito Lay was in the Borough and we managed to sneak over there with him one morning before we started the day. It was amazing! There was a cheese shop there that was out of control. Gigantic rounds bigger than my head....